Pink Fire Pointer Mini Review: Wonder by R. J. Palacio

Mini Review: Wonder by R. J. Palacio


Goodreads Description:
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.





Wonder By R. J. Palacio

Performed by: Nick Podehl, Kate Rudd, Diana Steele

Type: Audio (Purchased)


I wasn't sure what to expect from Wonder, but I know that anyone who has read middle grade books raves about it. I think that Auggie's story is one that will speak to everyone, from kids to teens to adults. Depending on what stage of your life you're in, you will take different things from this book. I think, as a kid, it might teach you to be considerate to people and not shy away from those who are different. As an adult I kept sympathizing with Auggie's parents. I can't imagine how much strength it takes to raise a child who will be treated differently. I highly recommend Wonder to everyone!

Audio: When I saw that Nick Podehl and Kate Rudd were narrating I was excited, because I think they are great narrators. Nick is the narrator on Personal Effects and Kate Rudd is the narrator for The Fault in Our Stars. This is the first time I have listened to Diana Steele. Having multiple narrators was great, because you feel who's telling the story. I only wish that each narrator had said who was who. I wasn't crazy about the narrator's choice for Auggie's voice and I'm not sure if it was done intentionally to make him sound young or not normal. Either way I didn't love it, but it didn't take away from the story.

To listen to a sample visit Brilliance Audio.